Thursday, January 2, 2014

One More Day!

He's coming home!

My son has been gone the past week-and-a-half, spending Christmas and New Year's with his dad and family in that part of the country. He goes three times a year ~ part of Christmas break, all of spring break, and all but a week of summer break. Last summer, he left a few days after his baby sister was born, and I am so glad he was able to be here and have a few days with her before he left. She grew and changed so much while he was gone, but she wasn't quite as aware that a family member was missing. This time, though, she knows who "brother" is and loves to sit and play with him. He loves to "wear" her (in a Boba carrier), and she thoroughly enjoys being toted around by him. He has made up songs for her and likes to make her laugh. He will take baby girl whenever he can. If she starts fussing in the car, he right away tries to help cheer her up.

The past ten days have been hard. She misses him and loves listening to him on the phone. More than her missing him, I miss him. A lot. Every time. Our home just seems so incomplete with him not here. He is a daily dose of joy and humility for me. lol Seriously ~ he's a teenager and he has his moments, but I thoroughly enjoy having him around. He is a great kid. He has chores that I have to nag him about at times, but he is incredibly helpful otherwise. I miss him ~ and not his help (although that is great), but his presence.

His heart for others is incredible. I've no doubt that it's a big part of why he is such a great big brother. He has raised money for suicide prevention after a friend killed himself. He's raised money during the 30 Hour Famine for World Vision. He is part of the youth group at church and is hopeful that in the next few years, he'll be able to go on a mission trip. He stands up for people who don't always have someone to stand for them.

I appreciate his insight ~ he often sees things in a way that I don't...or sometimes in a way that I should. His presence is a good reminder to me for my resolution word for this year. If I'm not gentle with him ~ or someone else ~ form his viewpoint, he reminds me. Aside from my hubby, I don't know who else would be able to effectively give me that type of feedback.

I can't wait to see him tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment