Wednesday, January 1, 2014

My "Resolution Word" for 2014

Two or three years ago, a Facebook friend (former college classmate) shared about how she was not doing New Year's resolutions, but instead was choosing a word to live throughout the year. It was a fascinating way to look at resolutions, and I decided then that I was going to do the same.

In 2012, I chose "love". I tried to live each day with an example of love. Not always easy, but I tried. I did cheat a little that year, as I knew I was getting married, so "love" kind of was an obvious choice.

In 2013, I chose "grace". I wanted to learn to not only give grace to others, but also to myself. I think I've came a long way in regards to extending grace, although I must admit that I still struggle with be gracious to myself sometimes. I think, though, that it has helped in regards to my parenting this time around.

I've been giving a lot of thought to my word for 2014. I thought of "grow" or "learn", but those are obvious, as I'm starting classes in a few weeks. I thought of "time", but I've already talked some about that in another post. I'm trying to challenge myself this year.

Then, I thought of a word that I've struggled with for myself for a while. I know this will be a challenge, but I am praying that I make it. The word this year is "gentle". I looked up a definition, and here it is from dictionary.com:

gen·tle

[jen-tl]
adjective, gen·tler, gen·tlest.
kindly; amiable: a gentle manner.
not severe, rough, or violent; mild: a gentle wind; a gentle tap on the shoulder.
moderate: gentle heat.
gradual: a gentle slope.
 
verb (used with object), gen·tled, gen·tling.
to tame; render tractable.
to mollify; calm; pacify.
to make gentle.
to stroke; soothe by petting.
to ennoble; dignify.

clement, peaceful, pacific, soothing; tender, humane, lenient, merciful. Gentle, meek, mild refer to an absence of bad temper or belligerence. Gentle has reference especially to disposition and behavior, and often suggests a deliberate or voluntary kindness or forbearance in dealing with others: a gentle pat; gentle with children. Meek implies a submissive spirit, and may even indicate undue submission in the face of insult or injustice: meek and even servile or weak. Mild suggests absence of harshness or severity, rather because of natural character or temperament than conscious choice: a mild rebuke; a mild manner, temperate, noble, manageable, docile, tame, quiet, courteous, polished.
 
WOW. That's a tall order. I want to clarify, though: it's not that I'm ever deliberately unkind or hurtful. I am, however, always honest and straightforward ~ and most times, I don't filter it through a lens of gentleness. One friend once said to me "It's not that you're not gentle. You're just......firm." My hope is to be more gentle in my responses to people. I can still be firm, but I definitely need to add gentleness to the mix.
 
Have you ever chosen a word as your "resolution"? Would like you to share how it went (or what it was)? Would you like to join me on the journey for this year? I share my chosen word publicly to help hold me accountable, but you don't have to. It is relieving to not have a bunch of resolutions to try to stick to. Just a single word ~ that is doable, but not necessarily easily so. I hope you choose well.

No comments:

Post a Comment